View previous topic :: View next topic  

re: [Accepted] Slithra, windwalker monk.

Personal Information

Please note that whilst it is not mandatory for you to fill in your personal details, it would be appreciated if you would provide this information.

Your real name and age?

Lia Brenner, 31.

Where do you come from?

I am an Ukraine-born citizen of Israel.

Can you speak/write in English to a high standard?

Considering I've done professional translations, I'd very much like to think so.

Your interests away from World of Warcraft?

Modern speculative fiction, tinkering with hardware and software, exercise. Favorite topics of discussion include scientific advances, politics and philosophy. I also draw... sort of.

Character Information

Please answer the questions below in as much detail as possible.

Name:

Slithra.

Class:

Windwalker monk.

Level:

110, 896 average item level.

Armory Link:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/Defias%20Brotherhood/Slithra/advanced

What is your main Spec?

Windwalker.

Artifact Level?

52 (will likely be 53 by the time you read this).

Whats your Off-spec and OS artifact level?

None. For the time being at least, I am not interested in levelling offspecs.

What is your current/previous guild?

For the entire WoD, I used to be a member of Wipe Material.

Why did you leave/want to leave them?

The progression through Emerald Nightmare has exposed an unfortunate fact in regard to windwalker monks: despite being remarkably strong during the expansion's launch, they did not quite manage to hold up as gear levels increased due to lack of synergy between artifact traits and comparatively lackluster legendaries. Recognizing this, I passed on loot and, eventually, spots in favor of allowing the raid to stack specs better suitable for current content, which the guild could afford to due to constant recruitment, including cross-server migrants attracted by rapid progress. By the time windwalkers got a much deserved buff, myself and a lot of people who stuck with the guild throughout good and bad times (Warlords of Draenor certainly qualifies as the latter) were sidelined for months, despite being online during the entire raid time in case backups were needed. Eventually, DKP rewards for attendance was scrapped altogether, making people such as me the proverbial fifth wheel in a remarkably well-oiled machine. As I kept upgrading gear through M+ and pugging, recent monk buffs allowed me to perform on par with regular raiders, but by this point the raid leaders (also recently recruited and given free rein by the old officers) would understandably stick with the people they knew best. Considering I was on good personal terms with the bulk of the guild, leaving was not a move I considered lightly, but I had to resort to it regardless once it became obvious I am unlikely to be needed in raids again. Considering the guild's overall overwhelming success and the recognition of the issue as a systemic problem in which nobody was particularly to blame, I left without raising a ruckus.

Your raiding experience, Old and Current Content?

I am a veteran raider, continuously subscribed since 2005. With the exception of vanilla content and Sunwell, I was able to clear most of the previous expansions' content at the highest level available during their respective patches. Unfortunately, as of now my current experience is significantly behind (Cleared mythic Emerald Nightmare and Odyn but haven't been able to get into a decent progression raid afterwards.)

What addons do you use to help your performance in raids?

Besides mandatory suites such as Deadly Boss Mods, GTFO, Weak Auras, or damage meters, I rely on an assortment of raid alerts, hardware macroes and purpose-tailored scripts, some of which I have made personally (the extent of their functionality is still an issue in some cases). I consider this necessary for maximization of awareness due to having a visual impairment (One blind eye), and try to ensure I am provided with as much information as I can pay attention to.

Briefly outline your play style. Including pre-pull actions, opening rotations and general actions you take during an encounter.

Windwalker rotation is largely based on having chi available to cast hard-hitting abilities in their respective priority order (Fists of Fury, Strike of the Windlord, Rising Sun Kick) as they come off cooldowns, while also maintaining Hit Combo and not using two chi generators after each other. This is typically obtained by having an exact sequence of events scripted out on a timetable several minutes in advance with fairly rigid windows in which each ability should be used for optimal results, accounting for chi generation over time; unfortunately, boss mechanics and assorted procs tend to interfere in the process, forcing the monk to improvise. Nevertheless, with the use of Energizing Elixir it is quite plausible to keep Hit Combo up for the entire encounter and never cap on either energy or chi. However, it is still borderline impossible to play a windwalker at the level simulations often assume; there will be lapses of second or more once GCD and the probability of two major abilities going off cooldown at once is taken to account.

I use Potion of Prolonged Power, as it has been confirmed superior for Storm, Earth and Fire (prolonged duration allows for use both charges of SEF). Should Serenity come out on top due to changes - I'm an alchemist with rank 3 in most "proper" damage potions. I use versatility or mastery food depending on my current stat balance.

My opening generally consists of using Prolonged Power two seconds before pull, opening with Touch of Death, using Energizing Elixir, toggling Storm, Earth and Fire, and continuing from Fists of Fury onwards down the priority list. Throughout the encounter, Touch of Death is best used on cooldown while the two-charge mechanic of Storm, Earth and Fire means it is better saved for vulnerability/AoE/bloodlust/transition/other manner of phases when burst is more welcome than usual.

Please explain your talent choices. Give examples of what you take on a given boss encounter and the reason you choose these talents over others.

Chi Wave provides a steady stream of damage and healing; while not as effective as Chi Burst in AoE situations, monks do not exactly lack in AoE department, and Chi Wave has a short cooldown; as such, it can be used to maintain Hit Combo stacks in between Tiger Palms.

Energizing Elixir provides the highest chi return per unit of time, but most importantly, it is usable on demand, plugging holes in rotations when abilities come off cooldown but no chi is available to cast them (which happens most often when the monk has to alternate between single target and chi-intensive AoE).

Hit Combo is an optimal target choice for vast majority of situations as it's a flat damage bonus that is easy to maintain assuming rotation is performed correctly. Xuen might outdamage it fights that last less than 4 minutes (none in current tiers of content) while Rushing Jade Wind is a strong contender in situations where there's nothing but adds (and thus excels in M+), but for the most part, Hit Combo is by far the most useful.

While Serenity is often the go-to damage talent of choice in the final tier, Storm, Earth and Fire surpasses its damage potential assuming the monk has a legendary capable of extending its duration, which I have. Whirling Dragon Punch becomes the default choice in this situation, as it provides essentially free damage and extends Hit Combo further.

Please provide a combat log parse (Warcraft logs link or similar).

I am afraid that guild logs with my name on them have long since been deprecated.

Can you use TeamSpeak for communication during raids?

Most certainly, although I would prefer to do the bulk of non-mission-critical communication in chat and would not feel particularly comfortable if during offtime, chat is ignored while the guild largely speaks on Discord, as is often the case nowadays.

We raid Wednesday, Thursday and Monday 20:30-23:30, can you guarantee 75%+ attendance?

Assuming the hours don't change, I can guarantee 99%. For years, I've been consistently able to make raids on different schedules, assuming it's past 19:00; early raids on weekends, for example, would not be feasible for me to attend. I consider showing up consistently a major factor in my WoW "career" so far, and have been often chosen over people with stronger overall performance and worse attendance; however, Legion in general has attracted many more people to the game and attendance was no longer an issue for my former guild, making this point somewhat moot.

Why did you choose us to apply to? Any reasons why we should recruit you?

You have been heartily recommended by my dear friend Kalgert, a member of your guild. From his description, it seems that you are a vibrant community that also enjoys proper, steady progression but isn't held back by delusions of elitism.

How did you find out about us?

I have been browsing advertisements for DB guilds with available raid spots for melee and settled on Uprising based on recommendation above.

Elsayn
Veteran

Hi Slithra,

Thank you for taking the time to apply. There was obviously a lot of effort put into this application and it shows. I would like you to contact me in-game as soon as possible for a quick chat if you wouldn't mind. My battletag is Ryslice#2657.

- Zulrayn

Grayfóx
Officer

Although missing logs I can add that I've seen Slithra's performance way back when Nightbane speed runs had just come out and I'd give my backing that she is a very competent dps. 

Good luck with the application! 

Tirithil
Officer

'Sup Slithra? Long time no see :)

Let not Glory blind Thee
Shandrilessa
Raider

Didn't Morang recently mention missing Slithra a lot? :D

Edit: Yep, just checked, he did mention that in fact. :D At the beginning of february! :D

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Uprising Forum Index -> Applications All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum