View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fioror

re: [Declined] Mage App

Hey guys. My name is Dewi, and I am 14 years old. I come from the UK, and live in London. I do speak English. While I don't play many games besides WoW, I do play a bit of Battlefield and enjoy going out with mates and watching movies and things like that.

My mage's name is Fioror, and it is capped. 

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/magtheridon/Fioror/simple

I mainspec Fire, as it is the one I have played since launch. However, based on a few Nighthold fights, such as Botanist, I will most likely play frost on a few fights.

My artifact level in fire is 43.

My offspec, as previously mentioned, is Frost. Before NH's launch, I was offspec Arcane. Therefore, I am 38 in Arcane and 35 in Frost.

My current guild is Command and Control, on Magtheridon EU.

I want to leave this guild as generally, most players only log on for raids. Furthermore, they only raid 2 nights and I enjoy 3 nights instead. There is generally a lack of guild activity besides raiding.

As I began raiding in Legion, I have little pre-Legion experience. However, with my current guild, I have cleared 1/7 M EN, 3/3 HC ToV and 10/10 NM Nighthold.

In terms of basic UI, I use Elvui, as it provides a clean layout for action bars, Unit Frames and other UI features. In order to manage cooldowns, buffs, debuffs and things of the sort, I use to TMW in order to have all the information I need near the centre of my screen in order to focus on my characters positioning, and to not stand in fire. I also have Angry assignments installed, in case your guild uses that. To display raid frames, I use grid as it provides a clean and customizable, however this does not clog up the centre of my UI, as it is irrelivant for a DPS, in most cases. I use BigWigs as my boss mod, as it is just the one I picked up first and I already have customized that to my liking.

My playstyle is generally in favour of getting a kill, rather than focusing on meters. For example, due to the flexibility of the mage, I am happy to do extra jobs, such as soaking, eating cake, or anything else a fight demands. My opening is generally like most DPS, stacking cooldowns, potions and trinkets for maximum benefit. However, if there is a certain moment cooldowns are needed on a fight, then I would save cooldowns for the moment. For example, on Elisande, I would save DPS cooldowns for the moment time is sped up, in order to reap the maximum benefit from my cooldowns. Throughout the fight, I would play to the fight, serve my role in the fight and complete any extra jobs I volunteer to do.

https://gyazo.com/8694a64a9954898c16eb13b68729b2cc

This is my single target talent choices. While I am unsure whether you are familiar with fire talents, I will explain anyway.

https://gyazo.com/19073a4b7b78f08a219e98e1720ca8d6

This is my AoE talent choices.

In the first tier, I take Conflag as Pyromaniac is usually unreliable due to its low proc chance of 8%, and Firestarter is unviable as the first 10% of a boss's health is the shortest period of a fight. 

In the second tier, I take Shimmer as two blinks gives me much more mobility. Blast Wave generally has no use, besides a few specific scenarios. For example, in a Necrotic M+, if a tank needs to reset a 70% slow could be useful, Flamestrike serves the same purpose, as it has a 50% slow. Blazing Soul generally has no use as it provides a little more survivability, but only in a few scenarios, therefore the talent is generally never used.

In tier three, I take mirror image in small scenarios, as it provides the most significant damage increase in most cases. While RoP is generally weaker than Mirror Image, I have yet to test on fights such as Gul'Dan whether it is viable. As the Extra 30% haste buff shares a roughly similar cooldown with Rune, it could see use. Incanters flow is generally unreliable and uncomfortable to play with.

In tier four, I take Flame on for single-target and Alexstraza's Fury for AoE. For single target, I take FO as it provides more Fire Blasts on a shorter cooldown, allowing for more pyroblasts during and in between Combustion. I see Fire Blasts as a fire mages resource, and Pyroblasts as the spender. Therefore, having more resources leads to more spenders, and deeps. I take AF for AoE, as it gives me a nice bursty Dragon's Breath on a 20 second cooldown, in combination with contributing towards an instant cast Pyro/Flamestrike. While I have done little testing with Controlled Burn, It is generally less reliable than Flame On, and simply not as good as AF as it does not give nice burst.

In Tier Five, I generally take Frenetic Speed as it speeds up movement when I cast scorch. This means I get to where I need to be faster, and as Scorch is considerably weaker than Fireball, it is a DPS increase. However, due to Shimmer, there is wiggle room in this tier. Ring of Frost generally has no use out of PvP, due to incapacitates being broken easily. Ice Ward could potentially be used on fights such as Botanist, in order to slow down adds, however it sees limited-no use.

In tier 6, I take Unstable Magic on ST, and Living Bomb on AoE. Living Bomb is not a DPS increase on ST, so on those fights I do not use it. I use Unstable Magic on Single Target over Flame Patch as I never cast Flamestrike on single target. In AoE, I take Living Bomb as it is generally better in terms of damage and scales better with more targets compared to Flame Patch. 

Finally, in the last tier, I take Meteor in all scenarios. In terms of AoE, I don't take Cinderstorm as it is difficult to have all 6 cinders hit, and in a case of 3-5 cinders landing, a well-placed meteor gives a better outcome. In single-target, I do not take Kindling as due to a loss of crit in 7.1.5, it is not a good as meteor. Furthermore, in 7.1.5 alot of Fire's damage was taken out of combustion, and therefore it is not as important to use it as much as possible.

I realised this was a bit extensive after writing it, but y'know im gonna stick with it.

I got this log from a EN HC pug. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/d8MYptyqfaw9vbnr#type=damage-done

Just a note, I left out a Renferal Wipe, as somebody Ninja-pulled so we just wiped.

I have no issue using TS.

I can guarantee attendance to the raid days. 

After finding you on the PVE LFM forums, I decided to apply to you as after reading your rules, raid days and info, I decided you were the guild that fit me. While im not looking for any hardcore, World-first raiding, I do like to raid 3 days a week, and do things like M+ and Nightbane in the meantime. You should recruit me cause I friendly guy, good-spirited player. I'd like to contribute in the raid through not just doing decent damage, but I would like to be the guy who volunteers. While this app seems a bit professional, I have a sense of humor.

I hope you take the time to consider my app, sorry in advance if it's a bit extensive. Cant wait to hear your reply.

Viktis!
Officer Alt

Hi Fioror! Thank you for taking the time to apply!

Another Mage finally! yay! I've been the only one for so long ;)

This is an extensive application but to be honest that's nice to see; it gives you a chance to show us you know what you're talking about!!

I'm having trouble accessing your logs; but I think thats an issue with Warcraft logs more than anything else so I may have more questions after looking at those. As it stands right now I'm just going to throw a couple of questions your way regarding talents.

I'll focus on the level 45 and level 100 tier. I just want to know what your thoughts are on Rune of Power and Cinderstorm and any uses for them generally or specifically (ie particular Nighthold bosses). I know you touched on this slightly with regards to RoP on Gul'Dan but I'm interested if you have anymore to say on it.

If I find anything from your logs (if WCL decides to be my friend again!) I'll post on here again.

Good Luck!

Vik

Hey there mate,

In terms of Nighthold bosses, there could potentially be use for RoP besides Gul'Dan. I was thinking maybe on Skorpyron for some mad burst AoE, but that boss is a bit of a joke anyway. There could also be use on Chromatic Anomaly but that might depend whether Fast time means rune is 30% shorter? I cant really think of any other bosses that could make good use out of Rune. In general, I think that mirror images is just better than Rune, since in 7.1.5 they made fire not to be all about combustion. You still wanna stack CDs, but Fire isnt really all about squeezing the most damage possible out of Combustion, RoP ain't as good along with the nerfs to it. 

Again on Skorpio, Cinderstorm could get some use to get the adds down ASAP but I think that Meteor is A: easier to hit and B: probably nicer to have a big bursty ability on those adds over CiS. This generally applies to all fights really. Cinderstorm is better if you land all Cinders, but that's usually not the case due to positioning, boss movement and shit like that. Maybe you could use it on Krosus cause his hitbox is pretty big. Also, as Pyretic Incantation was nerfed in 7.1.5, getting 5 stacks of it with CiS immediately after popping Combustion isn't that big a deal anymore. So in general, I don't believe Cinderstorm is as good as meteor on most single target fights. Maybe you could use it on Botanist? If your able to land most Cinders on the 2-3 bosses on Botanist it might be better than Meteor. So overall I reckon for fights with adds every so often, as well as Single Target, Meteor will be the better option, and on fights with consistent cleave, like Botanist or Skorpyon, Cinderstorm will be the option.

It also might be a good idea to use Rune and Cinderstorm together on big AoE fights, or in M+, though I'd need to test that first.

Fioror

Whups just realised I wasnt logged in when i posted that, let me know if you need some more logs.

Mojozan
Raider

Really good effort on the application, good luck :)

Mojo

Fioror

Hey, I just did some testing on the Nighthold bosses. I'll put some logs at the end.

First off, on Skorypyron I used Cinderstorm + Rune and it worked wonders. Probably gave me about a 500k~ more deeps that with meteor and mirror images. Massive Living Bombs+CiS+Rune did mad damage.

It turns out time speed up does make RoP last shorter, so on Chromatic Anomaly and Elisande, Doubt that'd see much use.

Now the big boy Gul'Dan. Kinda disappointed on this one. Ended up with me holding back runes and  the action button for combustion, on a 20-ish second cd waiting. It didnt really line up with my Moonlit Prism, but if you had a few more proc based trinkets, or a 80 second CD one, might work better. However, If you have the legendary gloves, theres definately an oppurtunity for mad damage. So the best testing was certainly on Skorpyron, but not much turnout on Gul'Dan. On this I ran FO, not AF, as I figured that would provide me a shorter Combustion. I also tried using Sinew for the extra crit, But the on-use was really awkward and didn't work too well. So, I would stick with Meteor and Mirror Images on Gul'Dan, unles you have the gloves, then it might work better.

Also, On High Botanist I tried out Frost, and since I am 10 or so Artifact Levels lower on my frost weapon, the damage was pretty good actually.

I also did a couple M+ with some mates taking CiS and Rune of Power, and it worked pretty well. I did end up Ninja-pulling with is once or twice, but overall I think it was better than Mirror and Meteor.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Zw3hHaF8KYMPrc1g/#type=summary&fight=1

Viktis!
Officer Alt

Hi Fioror, thank you for an update on your research! We'll get back to you within the next couple of days with a response to your application.

Elsayn
Veteran

Hi Fioror,

Thank you for taking the time to apply. After discussing your application the officers have decided that we are unable to offer you a trial spot at this time.

- Elsayn

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Uprising Forum Index -> Applications All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum